Tuesday, July 21, 2009

"Putting It Together"

I've spent the past week researching and trying to decide which diet to follow. When I say diet, I don't mean that I'm thinking of this whole endeavor as temporary, or even as a "diet" as it is commonly known. A few definitions of diet:

diet (ət)

noun

1- what a person or animal usually eats and drinks; daily fare

2- a special or limited selection of food and drink, chosen or prescribed to promote health or a gain or loss of weight

So while what I'm doing may be eating a special selection of food and drink to promote health and lose weight, I will be looking at this all as my new "diet", definition number one. This is now what I usually eat and drink; my daily fare. I was considering following the Weight Watchers' Points system, where you place a point value on a serving of food, based on an equation that considers calories, fat, and fiber. However, I've decided against that for a few reasons. First, if I'm not 100% following the prescribed Weight Watchers plan, I shouldn't really do it at all. Secondly, I'd like to do something that anyone can do, without joining or paying or learning a proprietary system

So we're going back to basics. No fasts, no eating grapefruit at every meal, no removal of carbs, etc. We'll follow the simple equation of: less calories in, more calories burned = weight loss. This will mean doing some math, tracking calories in my food, etc. Not gonna lie, it's going to be a lot of work, at least in the beginning. But anyone who ever claimed you can lose weight easily LIED. This will be hard work, and rightly so the pay-off will be enormous. Simply, I will create a calorie deficit. To do this, we have to figure out how many calories our bodies burn every day. Researchers suggest that you should then only drop your caloric intake by no more than 500 calories per day for optimal weight loss. Dropping too many calories per day from your daily needs will put your body into a famine mode, where it will protect and prevent you from losing excessive amounts of weight. Thinking you literally cannot find enough to eat, your endocrine glands purposely slow your metabolism.

Basal metabolic rate is the minimum calorific requirement needed to sustain life and bodily functions while your body is at rest. Your BMR is determined based on a formula that examines weight, age, height, and sex. Once you figure out your BMR, you use the "Harris Benedict Formula" to figure out your daily calorie needs, based on your activity level. This will give you an approximate total number of daily calories needed to maintain your current weight. Then, to lose fat (and only a minimal amount of lean tissue), you reduce your calories by 500-1000 per day. If you only have a little to lose, obviously 1000 is a far too large deficit. It is commonly recommended to reduce calories by 15-20% below the daily calorie maintenance number that you learned from the Harris Benedict Formula.

Figure out your own BMR here. Then figure out your daily calorie needs with the Harris Benedict Equation. Based on your weight loss goals, subtract 15-20% to create a deficit. There we will finally have that magic number we've been looking for! Mine is right around 2500 calories. This may sound like a lot, but as I begin to lose weight, it will constantly change, as my BMR will lower as my weight lowers. This will allow me to lose at a somewhat slow but steady pace. As I kick exercise into the mix it will of course also switch things up. Cutting 3500 calories total in one week will result in approximately a 1 pound weight loss. I've got to admit, with what I've got to lose, one pound per week does not make me happy. I'm sure there will be lots of tweaking with my daily calorie intake, and maybe this will finally be the thing to get me on a hardcore exercise regimen. Let's say I burn 800 calories per day exercising, then that's at least another two pounds per week! Dealing with these concrete numbers makes me feel so much more in control. It kind of de-mystifies the concept of weight loss.

I'm going to Florida this weekend, so I will be starting my new plan on Tuesday, July 28th! Now, before I get yelled at for waiting until after my weekend get-away, please understand that if I had started two weeks ago and was on a roll with the plan, I would definitely stick to it while away. I know from experience though that the first few days can be tricky territory, so why make it that much harder for myself by doing it away from home?

"Bit by bit, putting it together. Piece by piece, working out the vision night and day. All it takes is time and perseverance, and a little luck along the way."

Coming up next: I detail exactly what types of food I will be eating. A very general look at my eating plan!

4 comments:

  1. No judgments here re: starting after the weekend. You have to set yourself up to succeed! Can't wait to go on this journey with you, Josh. Now off to find out my BMR and all that stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I started to put together these concepts that you explain so well here it was a like a lightbulb went off for me. It also made me feel better to understand that if one meal is bad or I have a few too many margaritas one night, I can make up for it with the next few meals or a good workout. It's all about balance.

    This site has been really helpful for me with its simple tracking tools. I haven't been using it lately but it helped me kick things off in February: http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/account/index.php

    Loving the posts. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe the most important thing is to surround yourself with the right foods and make the right foods available to you. For example, at camp we are not allowed to bring out own food but I will be dammed to eat french fries and pasta and pizza every day or even out at amusement parks that greasy food. Learn to play the game, as bad as it may sound, express your concern and express that you have an allergy. Lately, I have been trying to reduce the amount of gluten on my diet (not for celiacs, but i've had more energy with less gluten) thus I bring everything with me in coolers and I am generally prepared in situations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought I would share some tricks that I use... you might get some ideas for things that will work for you.

    1. Like Suzanne recommends, keep the right foods around. I'm a big snacker so I keep trail mixes and nuts around to grab handfulls of. (Ask Fabricio about my LOVE for trail mix.) The nuts are healthy and full of protein, which fills you up. The dried fruit is something sweet, but healthy. (I LOVE SWEETS...)

    2. Protein. It fills you up and makes you not hungry. A chicken breast has few calories and can be cooked up in SO many ways. A protein shake, with a little honey, milk, and berries or chocolate does the same thing. It will keep you full for longer with few calories.

    3. I think I remember you saying that you liked sweets... I read this one article from a nutritionist that said to eat TONS of fruit. It will kill your sweet cravings and give you vitamins and minerals. Her quote went something like this,"You don't hear of people getting fat from eating fruit." SO TRUE. Agave nectar is several times sweeter than sugar, has a low glycemic index and mixes in with EVERYTHING. You can pick up bottles of it at Trader Joe's or at Whole Foods.

    4. WAIT! I have so much trouble with this one. It takes the body 20 minutes to recognize that you have eaten. When you fill up your plate, fill it up a little bit, eat that, then wait for 20 minutes. If you are still hungry, there will still be food for you to eat.

    5. The last one might be a little controversial... Try not eating as much meat. There are scores of tests done about this on both sides trying to discredit the other. Think of it this way, if you don't eat meat, lets say for 2 whole days a week, you will have to make meals out of whole grains and LOTS of veggies. Granted there are a lot of vegetarian options that are full of fat, but if you cook it, you will have control of what goes into the food. The website 101cookbooks.com has SO many GREAT vegetarian options.

    Can't wait to see what your plan of attack will be! Keep it up Josh!

    ReplyDelete