Thursday, August 13, 2009

"Here I Go Again"

To those that have been checking regularly for an update to my last post, let me apologize for dropping the ball. Three weeks between posts is far too long, and I will make sure to keep things moving from this point forward. I've got lots of ideas, and I'm still very invested in this blog!

So where am I in the journey? Not altogether surprisingly, I had what I'm calling a false start. A soft launch. I began my program as planned, but as should be expected, life quickly got in the way. I would say I have been doing my program at 50-60%. The application I had decided to use on my iPhone to track calories (called 'Lose It') ended up being extremely tedious to use all day long. I went out of town twice. I had visitors for a few days. I received not one, but two rejection letters from prospective jobs within an hour of each other. I know that to be successful, I must adhere to my plan closer to 90-95% of the time. I'm in no way excusing my actions or lack thereof, I'm simply listing some of the things that I let get in the way of my progress so that I can learn from my mistakes.

Am I disappointed in myself? Yes, a bit. I'm not dwelling on the fact that I'm still at the starting line two and a half weeks into my race. I'm just trying to use this disappointment as a learning experience. I've learned that I very easily let myself get sidetracked. The adage that you must take everything one day at a time has never felt more true. In my case I think I need to make my mantra to take everything "one minute at a time". I caved and ate something I shouldn't? Oh well, that was two minutes ago, time to move on and start fresh. I'm having a great time with friends and had two margaritas (rocks/salt)? Well that was an iffy choice but if it's over and done then I must move on and start fresh...which means no gorging on extra tortilla chips at Blockheads just because I "already messed up". The time for wallowing has passed.

I'm going to ramp back up to 95% over the next few days. I think for calorie tracking I'm going to buy a simple note pad and golf pencil. As much as I love technology and hoped to track using my phone, I think this is one case where an old standard wins out.

Things learned:
Take everything one minute at a time.
Acknowledge, analyze, accept, and then move on.

Weight loss to date: 0 pounds.

"Here I go again on my own. Going down the only road I've ever known. Like a drifter I was born to walk alone. And I've made up my mind, I ain't wasting no more time."

Coming up soon at Finally Losing It: A rant on clothing sizes, an exploration of the Zumba fitness craze, and a 'begrudgingly healthy' tiramisu recipe!

4 comments:

  1. Josh --

    I'm so proud of you! This is such a cool blog and I can't wait to hear about all your progress as you figure out what works for you.
    Also, I miss you and can't wait to come see you in New York again. We'll go eat delicious healthy foods and celebrate how awesome you are!!

    -- Rachel DuBois

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joshua

    Welcome back, it was great to see you. I guess if you stay on track I will see less of you, so hopefully it will be for a longer visit. The idea that you won't let momentary lapses affect future choices sounds like a watershed moment. Keep it up.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. Muy bien josh, muy bien. Tu puedes!!!!!

    Lolita

    ReplyDelete
  4. Josh!!! Blockheads always gets me too. I devour those chips. And the margaritas. And then the rice bowl.

    Can't wait to keep reading...

    Mayde

    ReplyDelete